If you have read any of our website, you will be aware that we at Coaching Direct have chosen to affiliate ourselves with the Association for Coaching. Why is this when so many other coaching firms are members of other professional bodies such as ICF (International Coaching Federation), ILM (Institute for Leadership and Management) and EMCC (European Mentoring and Coaching Council)? There is indeed a plethora of professional bodies which we could be affiliated to, however we believe that the Association for Coaching is the best professional body for both ourselves and our clients.
The Association for Coaching (AC) is a leading professional body for Coaches, Training/Coaching Providers, and Sponsors of Coaching involved in
EXECUTIVE, BUSINESS, PERSONAL, SPECIALITY, TEAM COACHING, & BUILDING COACHING CULTURES
The AC is an independent non -profit organisation with the goal to promote best practice, raise awareness and standards across the Coaching industry, while providing value added benefits to its members – whether they are professional Coaches or Organisations involved in Coaching.
Coaching Direct have chosen to align ourselves with the AC for the following reasons:
- It is an organisation dedicated exclusively to coaching
- It is a British organisation with a strong presence in Scotland
- It has a reasonable fee structure
- It has a clear membership and accreditation process
- It provides quick responses and excellent support
- It offers access to virtual coaching networks, with excellent advice and relevant discussions
- It runs informative national and regional coaching events.
The reasons why we have chosen the AC over other professional bodies are as follows:
The ICF – International Coaching Federation
- Is based in America and does not offer British coaches the same support or events
The ILM – Institute for Leadership and Management
- Is not exclusively a coaching body.
The EMCC – European Mentoring and Coaching Council
- Combines mentoring and coaching skills in its competencies and treats them as one.
So why become affiliated to any sort of professional body at all, given there is such a choice? Coaching is still a profession in its infancy. The quality of coaching and coach training available is very variable. All the professional bodies which I have mentioned are involved in setting quality standards and competencies for their members. Membership of the Association for Coaching demonstrates that we are striving to offer coaching and coach training of a high quality which adheres to their standards, competencies and ethics. We have aligned ourselves with a professional body which is exclusively involved with the coaching profession and which understands that profession in a British context.
If you would like to find out more about our coaching or training, please do get in touch.